Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Adventure? Damn right!

Yo friends and people who don't know they are my friend!

You might be one of two groups. The first group is like "Birding! Awesome, love it, tell me more". The other, likely larger group is saying "Adventures? Really? Isn't that word a bit strong?"  To the latter I must say I have made an amazing discovering! Sure, roll your eyes more and my daring, my brazen tone but it's true. Over the last 2 years I've been spending a lot of time running around in forests, fields, swamps and near rivers, lakes and ponds mostly within 30 minutes of my house and I've found really cool, neat stuff that I never knew was so close. My child like delight of being outside has returned! Tons of birds, but also fox, beaver, beautiful settings and the amazing natural beauty under our noses. You know that expression "stop and smell the roses"?




Sometimes I am chasing down a bird that I heard about on ebird.org. Like yesterday, when I ran over to Exton Park in my business casual clothing, speed walking in the mud and getting eaten by bugs and stuck my sticker bushes (yeah, I'm hardcore) just to see an immature little blue heron.

Once I ran out to see a Glossy Ibis in my PJ's and slippers. Dork? Definitely. But bite me, it's fun!


So I begin my journal/adventure log.

I will try not to be too crude, but if you met my dad you'd understand if I slip up once in awhile.

Finally, stealing something cool from the documentary "Central Park Effect"

In his “Seven Pleasures of Birding,” Chris Cooper explains how these small creatures enhance the lives of the people who come to Central Park to watch, listen and learn from their avian neighbors. We find:
  1. The beauty of the birds.
  2. The joy of being in a natural setting.
  3. The joys of scientific discovery.
  4. The joy of hunting, without the bloodshed.
  5. The joy of puzzle-solving (identifying the birds).
  6. The joy of collecting (listing each sighting).
  7. “The Unicorn Effect” (finding a bird that you know only from the field guide).

No comments:

Post a Comment