Saturday, August 17, 2013

I didn't have to sneak in this time (Longwood Gardens)

We have a family membership to Longwood Gardens and I think it's well worth it. But it wasn't always that way. When I was 16 my buddy and I were into 35mm photography. We thought Longwood would be a great place to practice our "art". Mostly our photos were attempts at art, humor or something surreal. Longwood seemed like a perfect place. Even then I leaned toward nature photography trying hard to capture wildlife photos with a 80-200 mm zoom on my Canon AE-1. However, when we tried to enter imagine our surprise when they actually wanted money! I was 16 and barely had money for film and processing, let alone paying to see plants. We did what most red-blooded men children would do. We hopped the fence.


Me in the 80s, don't judge

 
 
After a nice, free afternoon of snapping wise ass shots like the one above, we left. I'm sure we were smug about our discount.
 
Fast forward to 2013.
 
It's a beautiful Friday and Tracy wants to have a date. I'm stressed about work, and even want to work a little that night but being the most excellent husband I say "sure". I was trying hard not to selfishly focus on birding. Sure, I'll look at the plants, sure I'll have dinner on the patio area, sure I'll listen to the bluegrass concert a little. So we went. Tracy is pretty cool about my crankiness and birding so she indulged me as we walked around.
 
Longwood is pretty cool. Obviously it's got the wild diversity with plants, but it also has a neat, international/hippie with money vibe. So, it culturally stimulating. And birds.
 
On the birding side, we saw a Scarlet Tanager among other birds. I barely reacted. Tracy was excited. This bird holds a special meaning. When Tracy and I were dating I turned her on to birding. She saw a photo of the Scarlet Tanager and wanted badly to see one. We listened to recordings of it's song. which is often described as a Robin with a sore throat. So, whenever we see one it's a big deal. Never mind that it's a truly beautiful bird.
 
Anyway, I finally chilled out as we walked and looking back realized that I must have been PMS or something NOT to appreciate that one. Here's a link to the bird if you don't know it. The male is bright, bright, red, with black wings. It's one of those birds that is common and turns someone into a birder when they see it.
 
 
 
My only Scarlet Tanager shot. I'd love to get a good one
 
I have to also admit that walking around, sipping beer, having dinner on the patio and listening to a little blue grass was cool too.


No comments:

Post a Comment