Sunday, August 25, 2013

Mid-day birding and patience (Ashbridge Preserve and Rushton Farms)

I must be a little crazy. I was out of my mind happy today to be outside. Isn't wild mood swings a sign of crazy? But it's just so damn nice outside and nature makes me happy. If you don't enjoy flowers, butterflies and birds on some level you are either totally lame or a complete liar.

Ashbridge Trail Map

Patience is hard. Typically I will move through a park very quickly, looking as I go, listening and only slowing or stopping when I see or hear something interesting. Today, for some reason I felt less restless and was able to slow down. Some things came into focus for me as I slowed.

1. When you sit still and listen it's amazing how much human sound you hear. The traffic in the distance airplanes overhead.
2. When I stop and look for 10 or 15 minutes in one good spot, you are able to see more and more detail about that spot as time goes on.

Yeah, not exactly earth-shattering, Yoda-like wisdom. But today I feel like I translated this knowledge to something more real.

Today I was able to spend about 2 hours birding. It was in the middle of the day which is the worst time to bird, but sometimes you take what you get. I was pleasantly surprised with how much I was able to see at Ashbridge and Rushtown. I saw 24 different species of birds in Ashbridge in about 1 hour. Probably 6 different types of butterflies as well.

Migration is so on! I was excited to see several warblers today. Black and white, Black-throated blue, Common Yellowthroat, American Redstart and my first Blackburnian Warbler.

Common Yellowthroat


Ashbridge Preserve is a really cool little park near my house and part of the Williston group of parks. They do a nice job taking care of these parks. It's a very quite place and oftentimes I go there and don't see other people.

Sometimes that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment