Saturday, August 31, 2013

In Nashville (Bells Bend Park)

Work travel bites.

But like most people I try to make the best of it. In the past I'd make sure I explored something that seemed unique or special. Now I try to bird.

I just got this new app called "hotspots" from Birdseye. The idea is that it shows the closest parks and latest sightings. I noticed that a Black Tern was seen on the river near this park about 10 miles from my hotel. I'd never seen a Black Tern so that was enough for me to explore Bells Bend Park.

I ended up passing the main park entrance and got some guidance on the side of the Cumberland River from a guy fishing with his kids. Scanned the river but no Black Tern. Finally I pulled into the main park lot. No one else was here. "That's weird", I thought. But I pressed on and started walking what is supposed to be a 2.3 mile loop. Today that feels really long.

Bells Bend Park, Nashville TN
It was hot and I was hearing a ton of bugs. I think they were cicadas. This was a foreshadow of what would be my brief foray. Finally saw one of these buggers. Bugs can be awesome, beautiful, alien and creepy  at the same time. Add to this scene the heat and humidity and add to this scene sweat pouring off me and the mosquitos that start to bite me each time I stop to look. Few birds and all bugs. I am hating these bugs.  However, I don't hate this guy below. He's big and cool and isn't biting me.

Cicada?
I'm walking and stopping and swatting bugs and not seeing much of anything. "Just make it to the river", I think to myself. Maybe I'll see a Black Tern or something. Still no one else is out in this park. A few sparrows shoot by. I hear a Field Sparrow. I hear a Song Sparrow. I can't ID some others.
 
I'm sweating.
 
A sign says that a pond is about a half mile away. "OK, forget the river I'll just peek at the pond then get away from the bugs".  But I stop.
 
Here's the part where simple activities start to press into my psychology. I want to stop and turn around. My multiple personalities kick it. "Press on don't be lazy!" then my mind goes to "Who cares it's just a walk in the park, literally, why so hard on yourself" then to "You are going to miss something rare, something worthwhile, no pain no gain".
 
I finally get a grip and turn around. I must be mad.
 
Sometimes it's nothing special and sometimes I have to look harder for what is special. This time I decided to make up a new game. Submit a bird list from every state in the US. I'm a lister so listing games are fun.
 
I did manage to see a pair of Magnolia Warblers on the way out, a pair of hummingbirds and some Killdeer on the drive in. Plus I have successfully resisted the urge to stay in my hotel and click around on the TV for hours.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment