Tuesday, August 13, 2013

More birders than birds...almost - (Exton Park - Church Farm School)

I don't just love birds I love people. This last week I had a chance to combine both. I was originally planning on birding with my friends George and BQ and to meet a new birder names Art (alias Temujin).  I'll just leave that alias thing alone for now.

George and I decided to make it a party. So we invited away.

I think we ended up with 20 plus people showing up. All those people loving nature and many of the better birders in Chester county in attendance. I'm slightly obsessed with the top 100 in the county, so it's always fun to meet someone else on the list. I guess it's of my obsessive compulsive listing.

The birding didn't disappoint. We saw 45 different species that evening. The highlights were several bank swallows, indigo buntings, little blue heron and a handful of peeps that included lesser yellow legs, solitary and least sandpipers. The peeps pumped me up. It's a sign of migration which is always fun.

 

Lesser Yellowlegs
 
 
The walk wrapped up for a nice view of a goldfinch. A supremely common bird. Sometimes birders almost miss the common beauty too. "It's just a gold finch" can be heard sometimes on a walk. I've even said such things. Sometimes it's good to be reminded.
 
 
American Goldfinch
 
 
After the walk about 10 of us went to Victory Brewery in Exton to have a few pops and some dinner. Birding, beers and friends (old and new) is basically a perfect night for me.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment